First Generation Scholarship
Scholarship Description: Taos Community Foundation is offering a premier scholarship award to High School Graduates wishing to pursue advancement of higher education. This scholarship is to enable a student as a first-generation learner in their family to seek higher education.
The First Generation College Scholarship is a comprehensive college scholarship available to students who are the first in their families to be pursuing higher education. which pays towards the costs of tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies. It is a supplemental or last dollar scholarship and therefore secondary to all other grants /scholarships awarded to the scholar. After considering the student’s other community or academic institutional awards, the First Generation Scholarship Fund will pay toward the remaining costs of the scholar’s education. The amount of the scholarship is unique to each scholar and can vary from year to year, and could be up to an annual award of $15,000.
Eligibility Criteria: The following will be assessed by the scholarship committee through application/essay materials. Scholars may also be asked to participate in an interview/meeting.
- High School GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Achievement – academic and personal
- Demonstration of a robust High School academic transcript that includes any Advanced Placement courses as available at your High School and /or dual credit courses at UNM Taos
- Community service/involvement
- Motivation for continued learning and academic advancement
- Personal character
Application and Letter of Recommendation Request Form