Taos Community Foundation 2021 Scholarships
The Scholarship Application Deadline is March 15th at 11:59pm MST
There are 6 separate scholarship applications available this year. Applications must be completed online. In order to apply, you will need to register in the scholarship application system by creating an account. We suggest creating your account well in advance of the deadline to avoid any last minute issues. Click here to download our application checklist. This checklist will help you prepare all the documents you may need to apply.
At the time of registration, you are required to enter the following information:
• A username that is an email address and a password. Keep your password in a safe place.
• Your contact information
Once you have registered, your account dashboard is displayed on the screen every time you log in. From the dashboard you can do the following:
• Edit your contact information
• Begin the application process
• Access application drafts and submitted applications
Tutorials for assisting you with the application process can be accessed on the login page.
You may apply for as many scholarships as you are eligible to receive.
1. The Blake Memorial Scholarship was established in 2003 and awarded in memory of Ernie Blake, Founder of Taos Ski Valley. This scholarship is available to graduating seniors in Taos and western Colfax Counties for students pursuing higher education. The scholarship is available to those applying to 4-year colleges and universities as well as 2-year vocational/trade schools. The award is $4,000 and paid out over four (4) years if a 3.0 GPA is maintained. This scholarship is open to applicants (or whose parent/guardian) works for TSV Inc. currently, or has been employed by Taos Ski Valley Inc.
2. The Manuel & Fillie Garcia Hispanic Scholarship is awarded in memory of the Garcia Family and celebrates the drive and ambition of our local Hispanic students and their celebration of their heritage and culture. This awarded to graduating seniors in Taos County who are Hispanic students pursuing higher education. The scholarship is available to those applying to four year colleges and universities as well as 2 year vocational/trade schools, and may be up to $4,000 total. The award amount will be determined at the time of committee review. This award is paid out over four (4) years, if a 3.0 GPA is maintained and all required paperwork is returned in accordance with the Scholarship Agreement.
3. The Friedman Family Scholarship is awarded in memory of Dr.Orrie Friedman. This award is available to graduating seniors in Taos and western Colfax Counties, for students pursuing higher education. The scholarship is available to those applying to four year colleges and universities as well as 2 year vocational/trade schools. The award is $6,000 paid out over four (4) years, if a 3.0 GPA is maintained. This scholarship is open to applicants (or whose parent/guardian) work or has worked in Taos Ski Valley.
4. The Beatrice T. Gutierrez and Virgil D. Gutierrez Legacy Scholarship was established in 2018.This award was established by the children of Beatrice and Virgil Gutierrez. This scholarship is awarded in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Gutierrez, to a student who is planning to study and build a career in the sciences or education, and who has a positive and inspiring vision for the world. Mr. and Mrs. Gutierrez devoted their lives to teaching in Taos Public Schools. The scholarship is available to seniors graduating from Taos High School who plan to pursue advanced studies in mathematics, science, or education by attending a 4 year college or university. The Fund will also consider those applying to two year vocational or trade schools. The award is $14,000 paid out over four (4) years if a 3.0 GPA is maintained.
5. The First Generation College Scholarship is offered through the wonderful support and generosity of a philanthropic family who wishes to remain anonymous. This is a comprehensive college scholarship that pays towards the costs of tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies. It is a supplemental or last dollar scholarship.
The amount of the scholarship is unique to each scholar and can vary from year to year. The award can be up to $15,000 per year, for a possible maximum award of $60,000. This is a four (4) year award provided a 3.0 GPA is maintained during the award period and that all required paperwork is submitted in accordance with the Scholarship Agreement that will be presented at the time of selection.
The First Generation Scholarship Award is only for attendance at a New Mexico University or College or a University or College that is part of the Western Undergraduate Exchange.
Eastern New Mexico University
New Mexico State University
New Mexico Highlands University
University of New Mexico-Main Campus
New Mexico Institute of Mining and technology
Western New Mexico University
For information on the Western undergraduate exchange program visit
6. The Taos Diplomats Scholarship Taos Community Foundation is offering the Taos Diplomats Scholarship, which was established in 2015 by Peter Winter (Taos High ’04) and Dori Winter, currently Foreign Service Officers with the U.S. Department of State. Both now represent the United States government at embassies and consulates around the world, including prior assignments in Pakistan, China, Israel, and Saudi Arabia. This award is open to graduating High School Seniors with a GPA of 3.0 or above who are interested in pursuing a degree in fields such as international affairs, political science, public and government policy, global communications, international education and development, global health, international business, and foreign languages or studying abroad. This is a $1,000 one – time award to be paid to the Educational Institution and allocated to student expenses.
Once you have created an account you will be able to apply. Before you begin the application process, please be sure that you have collected all the documents listed in the Scholarship Documentation Checklist.
Once you begin the application process, you can save your form and return to it later. Remember to click “Submit Form” when you complete your online application. Note: Once the online application has been submitted, you will not be able to make any changes to it.